To provide proactive professional legal advice and risk management services to internal clients to mitigate the company’s legal risk.
- Provided Legal advice: Create a solution that achieves stakeholder objectives, mitigates risks and complies with regulatory requirements by providing legal and/or specialist advice, opinions, drafting and by vetting documentation (agreements). Provide meaningful legal advice to stakeholders by conducting research through electronic legal portals, consultations with legal counterparts and external attorneys and counsel. Provide input into ERCO and/or other risk reports by highlighting risks to management/relevant stakeholder for corrective action to be taken and by identifying legal or reputational risks. Assist the attainment of goals and objectives that will best mitigate legal risks by drafting, reviewing, settling and negotiating documentation and transactions with the view to implementing the legitimate expectations of the transacting parties. Provide input/comments at regulatory/industry forums/bodies and committees on behalf of company or in relation to the business interests of the bank by attending and participating in relevant forums. Represent the bank at any dispute resolution forum by presenting the bank's case at the forum. Keep stakeholders abreast of recent developments in law and regulation that might impact their business through relevant communication channels and/or ad hoc in transaction meetings. Provide legal input into key business projects. Attend to regulator applications and amendments to supplemental deeds. Good understanding and working knowledge of the Collective Investment Schemes Act, Pension Funds Act, Income Tax Act, FAIS, Financial Intelligence Center Act and Companies Act. Ability to communicate legislation changes and opportunities to all stakeholders via articles, presentations and opinions.
- Managed Stakeholder relationships: Build and maintain effective relationships with relevant stakeholders and users by attending meetings and forums. Identify legal and/or specialist needs of relevant stakeholders to provide relevant legal advice and proactively meet their needs by building trusting and professional relationships. Develop trusting professional internal relationships by keeping relevant stakeholders and users informed of any new changes to the law which may impact their business.
- Managed Costs: Ensure that the legal fees remain reasonable and/or competitive by overseeing outsourced legal costs in relation to repetitive matters. Deliver advise cost effectively by using internal resources to draft documents and by providing opinions to users where appropriate and where capability exists.
- Managed Transformation and Change: Contribute to a culture conducive to achieving transformation goals by participating in the company’s Culture building initiatives (e.g. Barrett Surveys). Achieve business strategy (e.g. Social responsibility, Green Strategy) by participating and supporting corporate social responsibility initiatives. Deliver a world class service through others and ensure a client service culture through various required interventions. Adopt best work processes and practices currently in place to promote optimisation through promoting multi-skilling.
- Managed Self: Obtain buy-in for developing new and/or enhanced processes (e.g. operational processes) that will improve the functioning of stakeholders' businesses by highlighting benefits in support of the implementation of recommendations. Provide solutions addressing risks by taking the appropriate steps to mitigate the bank's legal risk and by working with the team in identifying legal risks, reporting risks to the relevant stakeholders.
- Professional Qualifications/Honour’s Degree
- Matric / Grade 12 / National Senior Certificate
- LLB/ Bproc/ or similar
- Admitted attorney/advocate/ LLM/LLD
- Banking knowledge
- Business Acumen
- Business principles
- Diversity management
- Governance, Risk and Controls
- Legal Risk and practice management
- Regulatory, Legal and Economics Principles
- Research and development
- Stakeholder management
- Business writing skills
- Management information and reporting principles, tools and mechanisms
- Coaching and mentoring others
- Identifying business risks
- Making legal decisions
- Assessing legal compliance
- Drafting legal agreements; opinions; letters
- Managing legal risks
- Networking and building relationships
- Establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with peers / managers
- Continuous Learning
- Decision Making
- Managing Work
- Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skill
- 5 - 7 years experience as legal advisor